Skip To The Main Content

CPIM Reconfiguration: The World Is Coming to an End – But You’ll Be Just Fine!

APICS Senior Director, Professional Development

Thursday November 10, 2016

A Conversation with Bob Collins, CFPIM, CIRM, CSCP; Sr. Director of Professional Development, APICS

Hey! I hear APICS is changing its CPIM program. What is that all about?

At APICS 2016 in Washington, D.C., APICS CEO Abe Eshkenazi announced that the iconic Certified in Production and Inventory Management (CPIM) program will be reconfigured in 2017.

APICS will be reducing the required number of exams from five to two exams. This proposed change was recommended by a volunteer task force and approved by the APICS Board of Directors in July.

Now that the decision has been made, what you really want to know is: How does this affect ME and MY CPIM certification preparation?

Questions about How I Should Proceed with My CPIM

I haven’t started, but I really need to earn my CPIM within the next 12–18 months. What should I do? Start now. The reconfiguration won’t be completed until Q3 2017, and the scoring will take longer, which would delay your certification progress.

In addition, APICS will continue to support you. We will stop selling the Basics exam and participant workbook upon the release of the new Basics exam and the new Basics Learning System, but the other exams and workbooks (MPR, DSP, ECO and SMR) will be available for at least a year for anyone still in progress, so you will be able to finish what you started.

I have prepared for (or am about to prepare for) the APICS Basics of Supply Chain (Basics) exam. Should I wait? No. Keep going. The new, enhanced Basics courseware and exam will be more expensive than the current Basics courseware and exam (No final decisions have been made about the prices yet). The exam will be longer (three-and-a-half hours, 150 questions), so completing Basics now, before the reconfiguration, is to your advantage. Passing the Basics exam now will still count toward the CPIM after the reconfiguration—in fact, your results will be valid for up to 10 years.

I’ve taken the Basics exam but none of the others. Should I wait for the new combo exam? Waiting appeals to the procrastinator in me, but if you stop now, the chances of your finishing the certification will be reduced every month that you wait. You’ve finished the first exam and have momentum. Take advantage of it.

It is tempting to think that the new combo exam will be easier. It certainly should be quicker, but I can’t guarantee that it will be easier. First, the topics and terms in the Exam Content Manual (ECM) have not changed. All of the topics and terms currently found in the four individual ECMs will still be in the new ECM. The new combo exam will cover the original four modules (MPR, DSP, ECO and SMR) equally; each of the original modules will be covered by 25 percent of the exam questions.

I’ve taken two or more exams. Should I wait for the new exams to complete the program? No, keep going; finish what you started. By waiting for the reconfigured exam, you will spend additional money, additional time and additional preparation on part(s) of the new exam that you've already passed in the current format.

Will APICS chapters and international partners still offer classes for the current five modules? Many of them will, especially if they know that they have demand from candidates in the process of earning their CPIM. For most APICS partners, it will be business as usual for the next couple of years.

I’m already a CPIM. What does this mean for me? You will remain a CPIM as long as you continue to apply for Certification Maintenance every five years.

There is no substantive change to the program; this is just a reconfiguration of the structure. After the reconfiguration, new CPIMs will have had to validate the same body of knowledge that you had to validate with your five (or more) exams.

This is not the first time CPIM has been restructured to better meet the needs of the profession. Throughout the decades CPIM has jumped from four exams to five to six to seven and then back to six exams. Then, in 2000, the current five-exam configuration was rolled out. That change was even more of a major transformation because we not only changed the number of exams but changed their focus from inventory management, just in time, capacity planning, etc., to the current process-oriented exams, which follow the planning hierarchy from business planning to the shop floor. Read our CPIM reconfiguration FAQs for answers to additional questions regarding the program change.

Can I still do this? Yes, you can do this!

Think about why you’re interested in the CPIM program to begin with. Do you need it to help you find a new job, to keep the one you have, to change careers, or to better serve your company and its customers by improving and validating your skills as a professional? Does your company want you to take the steps to gain and use the skills you need to improve the company’s bottom line now?

If the answer to any of these questions is yes, then I urge you to move ahead with earning your CPIM designation today.

All comments will be published pending approval. Read the APICS Comment Policy.

38 comments

1. APICSPres03 November 16, 2017, 11:32 AM

I'm sorry you feel that way, Julia. That is not a common opinion. Corporations that we work with that value CPIM have expressed excitement and support for the new structure and sales have been much more robust than expected. Best of luck to you and your team mates.

Bob

2. Julia November 15, 2017, 04:12 PM
    I have two exams to go and I give up. not because they are challenge but foresee the value drop of the certificate. when I discussed with co-workers, all of us decided to work on other certificates. Yes, two-exams makes it easier to get but why waste $1200 for a piece of junk..
  3. Bob Collins July 12, 2017, 02:32 PM

Hi Nick,

I understand your concern, and perception of difficulty was discussed by the task force that finalized the change from five to two exams. And “perception is reality,” isn’t it?

Here are a couple of thoughts that the task force took into account in their decision-making:

1. The APICS CPIM has changed the number of exams and the focus of the certification a number of times since its inception in 1973. It started out as four exams. A fifth was added in 1975. The five modules were renamed in 1981. A sixth exam was added in 1988. Major changes were made to the content of the exams, two modules were combined, and a new sixth exam was created in 1992.  At that time, candidates had to pass five of the six. A seventh module was added in 1997, and candidates had to pass six of them. A major change in direction and number of exams was created in 2000, shifting to our current group of five exams. So, the CPIM has been evolving since its beginning, and this is just another change.

2. APICS uses best practices in the certification profession to create our certifications. Job Task Analysis surveys tell us what professionals actually do, and that data is used to develop the exam content. This isn’t changing. The new restructured CPIM will cover the same topics as the five-exam model. We will continue using a psychometrician (a statistician that specializes in assessments) to verify that our exams are valid and legally defensible.

3. Both CSCP and CLTD are single-exam designations yet are perceived as high value by the marketplace. This is true for many single- or double-exam professional certifications.  In fact, we were unable to find any certification programs that had more than three exams today, and almost all are single-exam certifications.

4. An argument can be made that taking one exam for material that was originally covered in four exams is not, in fact, “easier.”

We anticipate that, once the dust has settled, the “new normal” (two exams) will not appear to be of lesser quality. I earned my CPIM in 1992, passing five exams, but they were very different from the five exams candidates are taking now. Yet, my (maintained) CPIM was just as valuable to my career back when I was a practitioner and later as a consultant as the CPIM is to today’s certified professionals.

Great observation, Nick.  We’re doing our best not to ”break” CPIM!

Best regards,
    Bob

4. TheHoff0525 July 12, 2017, 09:25 AM

As a new CPIM designation recipient, hearing this news of the exam reduction is disheartening at best.

What is being missed in the explanations I've read from APICS is the loss of perceived difficulty from the view point of the student and companies looking for talent. By reducing the exam count, you have reduced the perceived difficulty of earning a CPIM designation. As we all know, when a brand is cheapened it loses market value. Those of us who have earned this designation are the "products" and our brand will be devalued because of this reduction of perceived difficulty. Whether or not a particular car is actually of low quality, if it is perceived to have low quality, sales will be affected. Along the same lines, if MBA programs nationwide go from an average 2 year requirement to an average 6 month requirement covering the same material, will they be considered as valuable as today? I suggest that they wouldn't. If my CPIM designation is now perceived as being easier to get (which it will be after the exam requirement is reduced), the value of having earned it will diminish in the marketplace. I specifically chose the CPIM designation because it was perceived as being more difficult to acquire and therefore my time was better spent pursuing it versus a perceived easier single exam certification.

I understand the revenue generating business move for APICS as this will undoubtedly increase registrations for exam prep materials and exam fees. Again, the perceived difficulty of 2 exams is lower than of 5 exams and that will draw in more applicants. This, however, negatively affects the industry view of the designation for all of us who have take the 5 exam (or more) series. I have to assume that the potential for increased revenues outweighed the customer dissatisfaction that is arising because of this. But as we learned in the CPIM series, senior leaders need to make trade-off decisions all the time and increased revenues always win.

5. APICSPres03 June 06, 2017, 03:45 PM

Hi Jamin -

Thanks so much for your thoughtful post.  Your post is perfectly reasonable and I'm goad you brought up the questions you did.  First, congratulations on your progress to date on the CPIM. APICS is dedicated to helping those of you already in the process to be able to finish your certification in the current format (5 exams).  I'd like to respond to some of your comments and questions:

1) "is it fair to presume that the CPIM certification will become a bit of lesser value?"

If all we were doing was reducing the number of questions ("new exam (150 questions) 4 exams @ 75 questions each (300 questions)"), then, I'd have to see probably.  However, what we are doing in this reconfiguration is more complicated than that.

Since the CPIM certification was released in 1973, it has through a number of iterations.  It began its life as three exams, then a fourth was added, then a fifth and a sixth, but the candidate had to pass five of them.  At one point there were seven exam, but the candidate had to pass six of them.  In 2000, the Exam Committee made a significant change to CPIM, moving from six exams (at the time) to five.  They did this by redistributing the topics from topic specific exams (Inventory Management, JIT, Capacity Planning, etc.) to process oriented exams (MPR, DSP, ECO - which directly follow the planning hierarchy, BSCM which is an overview and SMR which was viewed as a higher level capstone exam).  There was some duplication between exams, and especially in the courseware, because we do not require the exams to be taken in a specific order - we recommend it, but do not require it.  Therefore, we don't know where candidates are going to start and if some topics that might be covered in the MPR exam are necessary to understand topics from the DSP exams, then that topic needs to be covered in both.  We also can reduce the number of questions needed due to this kind of streamlining.

APICS uses a "best practices" process for determining the content of our certifications called the Job Task Analysis or JTA. The JTA is a survey that goes out to thousands of supply chain professionals around the work to determine the tasks the engage in and the importance of those tasks; this data is used to determine the body of knowledge covered by an exam and is codified in the ECM. We did not conduct an ECM before making the change from 5 exams to 2, therefore the exams must cover the same body of knowledge that was covered in the 5 exams. That does not mean we have to ask as many questions as we do in the five.  We use the services of a psychometrician (a statistician who specializes in assessment exams) to ensure that the questions that we do ask in the exams accurately reflect the body of knowledge being tested, and we will be able to statistical validation that the new CPIM Part 2 exam is as valid as the original four exams, even though there are fewer questions asked.

2) "With the amount of money, time, and effort (exam retakes?) it has taken for those who have been perusing the 5 exam module would APICS corporate not consider some sort of incentive for those who accomplish the 5 exam module over the 2nd exam module?"

The cost for the new, 2 exam CPIM will be very close to the cost of the old 5 exam CPIM, because the value of the certification is the same.  However, those taking the 5 exam certification can pay out that money in smaller increments than those taking the new reconfigured exams. So current exam takers have an advantage of, in effect, making payments as they pursue their certification goal.

Also, our experience in the Association and Certification communities is that few Associations are as liberal as we are when making significant changes to our certification programs.  Others, in these communities, have told us that as well. Most organizations will not have concurrent programs running at the same time, like we do - and we did this the last two times we had major changes to the CSCP program as well.  Most organizations draw a line in the sand and, before the date that line represents, they offer the old program and, after that date, they offer the new program. And, if you are somewhere in the middle of the old process, you are automatically shunted to the new process.

However, we didn't want those who've spent their money getting half way, or farther, through the current program to have to go back and start over again both from a financial stand point and from an exam standpoint.  Passing MPR and DSP, for example and then having to finish the CPIM by taking the CPIM Part 2 exam would both cost more and require the candidate to, in effect, take the MPR and DSP exams again.  We wanted to avoid that.

So, we considered the incentives to finishing the current exams to include both a savings in time and money since the candidate didn't have to start over again with Part 2.

3) "I just wanted you to think again, of what would be the best way to take care of your fellow CPIM graduates along with those who have and will become certified under the 5 exam module format."

We don't believe there is any difference in the body of knowledge validated in the new reconfigured CPIM than there is in the current CPIM.  I earned my CPIM in 1992. There were six exams at the time, of which I had to pass five, but the body of knowledge covered was not at all in the same format or contained all of the same body of knowledge for those who took the exam after the year 2000, yet my CPIM is not diminished - and in fact I went on to earn the Certified Fellow of Production and Inventory Management (CFPIM), something I'd encourage any CPIM to pursue as well.

We also believe that more candidates will be encouraged to complete the CPIM once there are only two exams, which is good for all of us and for the profession.

The reconfigured CPIM will not be easier to get - although it should be quicker - but, in some ways will be harder because we are testing MPR, DSP, ECO and SMR in one sitting, a much broader body of knowledge than the current individual exams.

Again, thank you for your thoughtful post and for the opportunity for us to give a little insight on how APICS is trying to take care of our existing CPIM candidates. (Although I think my response is longer than the original blog!)

Bob

6. Jamin31 June 05, 2017, 10:45 PM

Hello there.

After a brief discussion with my local APICS chapter (Puget Sound), I was encouraged to write to you and express my fellow concerns. I do not mean to come off aggressive but I do believe their are circumstances that call for us to be clear, concise, and straight forward. I appreciate the opportunity to voice my opinion along with the recent successes I have experienced with my brief time under the APICS CPIM course study.

I have been studying for the CPIM certification since March of 2016. I have completed 3 of the exams and am about to take the 4th (DSP) in the upcoming weeks. With this recent transformation in going from a 5 exam structure to a 2 exam structure, is it fair to presume that the CPIM certification will become a bit of lesser value? Allow me to elaborate a bit.

The amount of CPIM certs to increase is inevitable now doubt. Cramming 4 exams into 1 exam, in my opinion, can only happen if material is removed. Case in point, new exam (150 questions) 4 exams @ 75 questions each (300 questions). Not only will the exams be shorter overall but the material will also be condensed which in turn will rush through more test takers in fewer time. Resulting, in those that are certified who truly don't grasp nearly as many concepts.

It appears with those who continue on the 5 exam path, like myself, and complete their CPIM certification do not have any benefit in doing so. Other than they would simply become certified months before those who wait for the 2 exam structure.

With the amount of money, time, and effort (exam retakes?) it has taken for those who have been perusing the 5 exam module would APICS corporate not consider some sort of incentive for those who accomplish the 5 exam module over the 2nd exam module? Like waving the 5 year maintenance program and doubling it to 10 years or better yet consider those grandfathered in. Making them permanently recognizable as a CPIM Cadette.

I realize this may come off a bit entitled but isn't that the reason why we all pursue this certification in the first place? To stand out as the select few who have put in their time to learn and adapt to the APICS business module. This program is held in high regard and well respected across the globe in the manufacturing/supply chain industry. Why not incorporate that belief to those who have undertaken the task to truly identify and understand the 5 exam module. I understand the change has been implemented and is already in motion. I just wanted you to think again, of what would be the best way to take care of your fellow CPIM graduates along with those who have and will become certified under the 5 exam module format. I truly believe their should be some sort of incentive or reward to those who have come this far and invested heavily into the current process. They truly are the life line of the APICS CPIM structure. Why not consider taking care of them?

Thank you.

Jamin

7. Cathy Iammartino May 22, 2017, 10:12 AM
    Dear Giulio,
    The CPIM Study Notes (Wilcox) are now called the CPIM Self-Study Kit. The Self-Study Kit can be found in Shop APICS and includes the Study Notes, ECM, and access to the ECO Exam Simulator. To keep shipping costs down, you can opt for the digital version. Here is a link to the Print version: http://www.apics.org/ProductCatalog/APICSProduct?ID=10967.
  8. APICSPres03 May 16, 2017, 12:16 PM

Preet -

Here is the latest info on exam sales:

8/31/17 – BSCM exam sales stops but delivery of the BSCM exam continues through 1/7/18

9/30/17 – Part 1 exam sales begins & exam delivery begins

11/1/17 – Part 2 exam sales begins with delivery beginning

1/8/1ß these dates have not changed from the original schedule

9. preet May 10, 2017, 11:56 PM

Hi Bob,

When can i purchase reconfigured exams? Ism planning to start Cpim.

10. APICS Certification April 20, 2017, 03:41 PM

Hi Jindrago14,

The new CPIM Parts 1 and 2 exams will be available for purchase in November of this year, but the first testing date will be January 8, 2018.

And yes, we do have testing centers in Korea. You can find a testing center near you by using the Pearson Vue Test Center Search at https://home.pearsonvue.com/.

11. Jindrago14 April 18, 2017, 09:09 PM

I decided to wait for the part2 exam and I want to take it as soon as possible.

Would it be possible for me to take the exam in Korea in 2017 ?

12. Bob Collins March 30, 2017, 11:25 AM

Hi Krishna, We are creating a new Learning System for each module - Part 1 & Part 2. The Learning System will include both books and a lot of online content - quizzes, practice exams, flash cards, and so on.The Exam Content Manual (which will be available for sale in June and also comes free with the Learning System) lists 20 text books and other resources (like the APICS Dictionary), so there is no one text book for either exam.  However, we use those text books in creating the Learning System and the new Learning Systems will definitely be the way to go!

Bob

13. March 28, 2017, 06:04 PM

Hi Bob,   Will there be one text  book per module for me to study from when the new reconfiguration module is out.

Krishna Singh

14. Bob Collins March 20, 2017, 02:26 PM
    Joey - The pace of preparation depends on several factors - are you taking classes?  If so, those classes will set your pace, but do plan on doing some study on your own after each class. Currently, the average student takes 1 1/2 to 2 years to complete the CPIM (with 5 exams).  We believe that with two exams, that will cut down to 6 to 9 months.  It can be much faster if the student is diligent and puts the effort in.
  15. Joey March 17, 2017, 11:43 AM

Hi Bob,

I'm what is the recommended pace for the CPIM qualification? How long should each of the modules take?

Joey

16. Bob Collins February 16, 2017, 12:00 PM
    Aaron – The part 2 exam will take 3 ½ hours and will have 150 questions.  Although this is half of the 300 questions being asked in the current four legacy exams (MPR, DSP, ECO, SMR), we are working with a psychometrician to ensure that the new exam will continue to be psychometrically validated and legally definable. A psychometrician is a statistician who specializes in assessment exams. 25% of the questions in the new exam will come from MPR, 25% form DSP, 25% from ECO and 25% form SMR.

Reynaldo – The way we are designing the new Learning System for the Part 2 exam, should allow your company to stay on its 6 months/module pace.  Your people will finish the Certification in one year – a significant improvement in the current program.

Bob
  17. Reynaldo Cabezas February 13, 2017, 03:50 PM
    Hi Bob,
    We currently have in our Company an internal stepped program with a 6 months/module pace. Considering that the new COMBO module will cover 4 previous ones, would you recommend to move to a higher pace (i.e. 12 months/module)? We don't want to overwhelm people with a very intense program but we don't want to loss momentum by having just one exam per year if it is not necessary.
  18. Aaron Lee February 12, 2017, 12:12 AM
    Dear All,

Tracking all comments but I can't recognize totally how many questions belong to part 2 after CPIM reconfiguration in Aug, 2017 ? Can anyone confirm this out please ?

Thanks in advance.
  19. Bob Collins February 10, 2017, 09:31 AM
    Will At the moment, we are still drafting the materials, so we do not have a definitive answer yet. However,  based on our initial estimates, we expect the Part 1 class to consist of roughly 20-25 hours of class time. This would total 7 sessions that are 3-hours in length or 3 full days of instruction. Part 2 will consist of roughly 35-40 hours of class time. This would total 12 sessions that are 3 hours in length or 5-6 full days of instruction. In total, for both Part 1 and Part 2, the 3-hour agenda would total 19-20 sessions and the full-day agenda would total 8-9 days.
  20. WIll Reeves February 08, 2017, 12:18 PM
    Can you advise on the scheduled class time for the reconfigured CPIM
    Part 1 xxdays
    Part 2 xxdays
  21. Bob Collins January 23, 2017, 06:11 PM
    Christina -

Many candidates self-study for the CPIM exams.  The CPIM Self-Study Kits are a great way to go.  We also offer a completely online set of courses called the CPIM Online, powered by Accenture.  The Study Kit includes books to read, the online product is completely online.

The Fox Valley Technical College  courses are instructor-led, but are asynchronous, so you can stud at your convenience.

When the new Learning Systems are released, (late August/early September) they will be designed for both self-study and instructor-led classroom courses. At that point, you'll want to see what you've completed at that time and whether you want to proceed with the new configuration (2 exams) or finish the 5 exam configuration that you started.

Best of luck
  22. Christina January 17, 2017, 12:04 PM
    I want to take the CPIM program and exam, is it hard to do it yourself? or is preferable using The Fox School?  I can commit and with the right materials, I believe I can pass it myself.  Has anyone taken the CPIM materials on their own and pass the exam?
  23. Bob January 05, 2017, 09:07 AM
    Wojciech - We will be running both the old and new programs until the end of  2018. You will have until June 30, 2018 to purchase preparations materials and exams and until Dec. 31, 2018 to take exams purchased by June 30.

Best of luck!
  24. Bob January 05, 2017, 09:04 AM
    Charlotte -

I recommend filling out the eligibility form for CLTD (it's free) to see if you already qualify.  The form can be found here: http://www.apics.org/credentials-education/credentials/eligibility

You will need one of the following, not all three:
       Three (3) or more years of supply chain related work experience
       Bachelors’ degree or the international equivalent
       CSCP, CLTD, CPIM, CFPIM, SCOR-P, CIRM, CPM, CSM, CPSM, CTL certifications

There are many IT folk who have earned APICS certifications and we'd be glad to welcome you to the Logistics community!

Bob
  25. Bob January 05, 2017, 08:58 AM
    Hephzibah, for those, like yourself, who have started down the path to certification by purchasing exam preparatory materials, you may still purchase workbooks, self-study guides and exams  for MPR, DSP, ECO and SMR through Jun 30, 2018. The exams will continue to be offered until the end of 2018.

We are running both sets of materials and exams concurrently for a while to give candidates like yourself plenty of time to finish what you started instead of having to start all over again.

Best of luck!

Bob
  26. Bob January 05, 2017, 08:48 AM
    Soo - if you've passed the current Basics exam, you can take the new "Part 2" exam this fall to complete your CPIM.  Note that 25% of the questions on the new exam will cover MPR topics.
  27. Wojciech January 04, 2017, 01:47 AM
    Hi Bob, just to clarify, previous structure, materials and exams will be available till the end of 2018? I just passed BCSM and I'm planning to pass other modules in old structure. Does it mean that I have time to do that till the end of 2018?
  28. Charlotte C. Wilt December 23, 2016, 01:24 PM
    Bob,

I'm a former I.T. field professional that wants OUT of I.T. and IN to Logistics!
    In 2 months, I plan to purchase one of the series - my research on this site tells me that I must complete the CPIM first unless I can prove that I have 3 years of related experience...

What counts as "related experience?"  I have one year as a Database Administrator in the Materials Manufacturing Division of an Electronic Warfare Contractor, but all of my other work experience is in I.T. or Administration...

I'd like to just buy the new CLTD, because it looks like that series includes everything I need to break into the field...please advise...
  29. Hephzibah Yendluri December 20, 2016, 11:06 AM
    I passed first 3 modules of CPIM. I am working on the 4th module, Execution and Control of Operations, now. I am just wondering if the participant workbook for the last module of CPIM will be available for 2017 or not. Please advise.
  30. Soo December 20, 2016, 11:05 AM
    Thank you. I have taken BSCM and MPR, if I have already decided to wait for the new system, can I just take the second exam and complete my certification?
  31. Bob Collins December 20, 2016, 11:03 AM
    Seunghoon, the COMBO exam will also be 3 1/2 hours and have 150 questions.

Christine, the current courseware will be available to those who've already started the program until mid-2018.  The four exams will be available until the end of 2018.  So, I you change to a 6 month/exam pace you should be fine.

Doris, if you've passed the BSCM exam, you can wait for the new second exam if you choose. It will be nearly a year before you're certified, though. Just something to consider.
  32. Doris December 20, 2016, 11:02 AM
    Hello Bob,

Thank you so much for the info. I have only taken BSCM, if I have already decided to wait for the new system, can I just take the second exam and complete my certification?

Regards,
    Doris
  33. Christine Powell December 20, 2016, 10:58 AM
    I have completed 2/5 tests and would like to continue and finish what I started.  However, my current pace is one exam a year.  What is the timeline that the 5 test option will still be available for testing?  do I need to plan to complete them by the end of 2017?
  34. Seunghoon December 20, 2016, 10:56 AM
    so it will be a BSCM and COMBO EXAM
    BSCM will be 3 ½ hours, 150 questions
    what about the COMBO exam that will include all the content from previous 4 modules?
  35. Darren Belak December 16, 2016, 07:16 PM
    Thanks for the update., I am taking the DSP exam soon. How will this affect those that take all five module exams? Truth be told, it seems like there would be so much information to know to take MPR, DSP, ECO and SMR exam all at one time.
  36. Bob Collins December 15, 2016, 03:57 PM
    Yes, Brian.  You are correct. Exam 1 will be the Basics exam; Exam 2 will cover MPR, DSP, ECO & SMR.

Jim, You have a year and a half to two years to change any programs over to the new configuration.

If you'd like to discuss it further, call APICS at 1-800-444-2742, ask for me.

Bob
  37. Jim Keyes December 15, 2016, 03:44 PM
    I am a faculty member at UW-Stout and we have heavily invested in the current CPIM process. Annually UW-Stout has 100+ students taking CPIM exams. We have four courses built around the exams. We offer our Undergraduate students in the Supply Chain Management degree program the ability to earn CPIM within their program of study. With the pending  changes we will need to rebuild our course work and obtain new materials (texts, workbooks, DataChem exams...) for our students and faculty. How is APICS going to assist with this?

This is the first I have been informed about the change and there is a great deal of work we need to do to make this happen. How can I make sure that I am in the loop for further communication on this change?
  38. Brian Galardo December 15, 2016, 03:39 PM
    Just to clarify, the first exam in the new format will cover the Basics knowledge and the second exam will pertain to the remaining four areas (MPR, DSP, ECO & SMR)?

1. New code